May 3, 2010

a sign from above... (or a bloody coincidence that started my day wrong)

Let's start this off by sharing with you my first words of the morning;
"Holy mother of (*&#'n hell!"
Yes, these were my tasteful words...
At the lovely time of 5:45 this morning,
my smoke alarms began to sing to me.  
Did I just say sing? I meant, scream in agony.
That's when the tasteful words flowed.
I reached for my glasses. I can't see further than 2 inches without them,
which of course they took flight behind the night stand.
I believe I threw out a choice word or two here as well.
This is going well I thought.
Right when I got the glasses on, the shrieking stopped.
I knew it was just teasing me now.
The little bastards.
As I got to the kitchen, the alarm near the garage beeped once...
then again, three times...
then it began its frenzy again.
And it was like a nursery... one baby starts crying,
THEY ALL START CRYING.
All five of my alarms began to wail again.
I told the alarm in the kitchen that it was all his fault.
(yes, it's male.  Because women know better to mess at 6 am)
This is when I realized talking to the alarms wasn't putting me in good
graces with the insane asylum decision makers.
I couldn't figure out how to get the alarm off the ceiling, 
and how to remove the battery compartment.
Good thing Mike was at work.
Trusty handy man that he is...
He appreciated my ever so tasteful message asking for assistance.
And what did I get?  Laughing. Yes, that's love right there!
So, after a fun 20 minutes of hiking around with the ladder,
I had all the alarms down, batteries out and  s i l e n c e.

Then as I turned the shower on I had a moment...
I think it was God doing that.
L e t  m e  r e w i n d  h e r e.
Lately I've wondered what it would be like to talk to God.
And more importantly, to listen to Him.
However, I have felt foolish about the thought.
What would I even say?!
I've believed for so long that there was no such being,
so why would He even bother listening.
And as I was reading about Ashram's last night it all came to me.
(note: An Ashram is designed for the liberation of the soul, 
a place to inspire the heart and develop the mind- A temple of sorts)
I figured why not try and talk to Him.
If he doesn't listen, I'd have my answer and can move forward.
So, after I sat for a great while...eating mango's and contemplating,
I began to chat with God...
And I asked for a sign. Well a sign in regards to a few things actually,
but all in all, a sign to know I'm being heard.
I felt good about our little talk.

Thank you for listening... whoever you are.

No comments: