October 17, 2010

Apple Crumb Squares - a seasonal must!!

Photo: Family Circle @ www.familycircle.com
 
I love apples!  Especially when they are baked...and this recipe was a great way to do it.
I found this recipe in my September 2010 issue of Family Circle magazine and wanted to share it with all of my friends and family who love to bake (thanks Krissy!)

I adapted the recipe a little by omitting the almond extract, and I didn't have the pumpkin pie spice, so I changed it by using cinnamon instead... and I just have to say, I loved the hint of cinnamon!

We had dinner at my brother and sister in-law's house, and I was in charge of dessert.
I love fall and I thought the granny smith apples baked into these delicious bars would suit well...
and they sure did!!!  I think we brought home one or two, and I left the rest for the masses.
Everyone loved the bars and wanted the recipe, so I decided why not share it with everyone!?

Makes 24 squares
Preheat oven at 350


CAKE
3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened - it calls for unsalted, but all I had was salted on hand
1 C sugar
3 eggs
3/4 tsp. almond extract - I omitted this
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
6 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 C apricot preserves, melted


CRUMB TOPPING
2 C all purpose flour
1 C brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice - I used cinnamon instead
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted - Again, I used salted butter
2 T confectioners' sugar

- Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray

- Cake: Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth, just about 2 minutes.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. On low speed, beat in flour and almond extract until blended.  Spread evenly into greased pan.

- Place the apple slices on top of the mixture in even rows.  With the melted apricot preserves, brush the apples generously. Bake for 25 minutes.

_ Crumb topping: Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the butter until mixture is moistened and clumps.  Sprinkle evenly over cake. Bake for an additional 35 minutes. Remove pan to wire rack and let cool completely.

- Dust with confectioners' sugar and cut into 24 squares

ENJOY!!!

3 comments:

The Hamlet Seven said...

Ok, I want some more of these! They are amazing and totally fitting for the time of year. We should make some and go see the leaves this weekend! Another Hamlet Family adventure!

bbart76 said...

I made these today! They are very delicious. I think you have an error in your instructions though. The cake ingredients, you don't have salt but have that you add the salt into your cake mixture. I assumed you meant the almond extract.

I think next time, my apple slices will be thicker and I'll cook it for about 5 mins less.

Great find! Thanks for sharing!!

Kimberly J. said...

you're right! Sorry guys.. don't mind the salt comment. I will delete that! I meant the extract. Goodness! And good idea on the thicker apples.